Search
Close this search box.

Egypt and Qatar Call for Diplomacy Amid Rising Regional Tensions

Cairo: The foreign ministers of Egypt and Qatar on Friday stressed the need to contain escalating regional tensions and prevent the conflict from widening, Egypt's Foreign Ministry said.

According to Anadolu Agency, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and his Qatari counterpart Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani discussed the latest regional developments during a phone call as part of ongoing coordination between the two countries. The ministers underscored the importance of containing tensions and preventing further escalation across the region.

They urged all parties to prioritize diplomacy and dialogue and return to negotiations to implement the memorandum of understanding signed between the US and Iran as a step toward reaching a final agreement that will help reduce tensions and strengthen regional security and stability. Abdelatty also renewed Egypt's condemnation of recent attacks targeting several Gulf states and Jordan, stressing the need to respect the sovereignty, unity, and territorial integrity of those countries and all Gulf states.

Separately, Qatar's Foreign Ministry said Sheikh Mohammed reviewed bilateral relations with Abdelatty and discussed ways to further strengthen cooperation between the two countries. He also stressed the need for all parties to remain committed to dialogue and diplomacy and to implement the memorandum of understanding reached between the US and Iran.

The Qatari foreign minister said the agreement should include guarantees for freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz to preserve regional security, protect existing gains, and reinforce stability. Sheikh Mohammed also reaffirmed Qatar's full support for efforts to de-escalate tensions and reach a comprehensive agreement that would achieve lasting peace in the region.

Last month, Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding under Pakistani mediation aimed at ending their military conflict and reaching a lasting peace agreement. However, both sides exchanged attacks over the past two days amid escalation following Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran launched a series of strikes Thursday on US military infrastructure in Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, and Jordan in retaliation for a second day of overnight US attacks.