Syrian foreign minister asaad al-shaibani rejected israel's justification for striking a syrian airbase:haibani rejected Israel's justification for striking a Syrian airbase, saying Damascus had informed Israel beforehand that there were no plans to establish a Turkish base or permanent military presence at the site.
According to Anadolu Agency, al-Shaibani stated that rehabilitation work at the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria was intended for the Syrian Air Force and that Israeli officials had been informed of the nature of the work before the attack. "There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," al-Shaibani said in written responses.
Israel dropped at least eight bombs on runways and hangars at the airbase early Tuesday, damaging runways that had recently been rebuilt. No casualties were reported. US and Israeli officials told the outlet that Israel had informed the Trump administration that the strike was intended to prevent a Turkish military buildup at the base, located about 45 miles (72 kilometers) from the Turkish border.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed that Israel had warned Syria before the attack against allowing a Turkish presence at the facility. Al-Shaibani, however, said work at the base was limited to repairing the airfield and facilities damaged during Syria's civil war. "There was no Turkish military build-up at the base in any sense that would justify such an interpretation," he said, adding that the facility was largely empty and had not yet become fully operational.
Al-Shaibani acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the airbase several days before the Israeli attack, but said the visit was part of ongoing military cooperation involving training and the exchange of expertise. He said Syria, as it rebuilds its military and civilian institutions, has engaged in similar cooperation with Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, and Russia. "Syria is a sovereign state, and it has the right to establish relations of cooperation and alliance with any country, including Trkiye," al-Shaibani said.
Al-Shaibani noted that Syrian and Israeli officials had been in contact in the days leading up to the attack and that Damascus had explained the nature of the construction at the airbase. Syrian officials made clear that the facility "is Syrian and will remain under Syrian sovereignty and control" and that no permanent Turkish presence was planned.
Al-Shaibani also revealed that he had been in contact with the Trump administration before and after the attack in an effort to prevent further escalation. "We made clear to the US that we do not trust Israel's intentions towards Syria, and that we believe current Israeli policy, including its military escalation and actions on the ground, does not contribute to stability in Syria or the region," he said.
Despite the attack, al-Shaibani said Damascus remained interested in reaching an agreement with Israel to reduce tensions along their border. "But de-escalation cannot be the responsibility of one side alone," he said. "Israel must also reassess its policy towards Syria and recognize that continued military operations and attacks will not deliver long-term security, but will instead increase instability."
He emphasized that Syria remained open to negotiations and believed political and security solutions offered the most sustainable path toward stability. Al-Shaibani mentioned that Syria and Israel spent a year negotiating a security agreement through US mediation and had made significant progress, reaching a formula that had been agreed on paper. "Israel subsequently backed away from its commitments, however, and the agreed formula was not implemented on the ground," he said.
Al-Shaibani concluded that with "genuine political will," negotiations could resume and produce understandings that address the security concerns of both sides, respect Syrian sovereignty, and reduce regional tensions.